Wednesday 14 November 2007

Interview with Robert the Bruce

I am here with a Scottish national hero king Robert the Bruce who is best remembered as a national hero for his role in ridding Scotland of the ald enemy the English, well at least for a time.Well id just like to take this chance to say its a privilege to meet you Robert after all you have dead for so many years now.

So Robert id like to ask you where were you born then and in which year ?
Well Kevin i was born in Turnberry Castle in Ayrshire on 11 July 1274.

Where did you live when you were a small boy?
I lived at Lochmaben Castle in Annandale, Dumfriesshire which was the seat of the Bruce family although my family had estates in Huntingdon as well as other parts of Scotland so we were constantly on the move.

How did you become King in Scotland and when where you crowned king of Scotland?
I had a rival for the throne John Comyn but after murdering him on the the altar steps of a Franciscan priory, I declared myself King of Scotland. I was crowned King at Scone in March 1306.

When you killed John Comyn was there a backlash or did any one cast any doubt over your decision to do so?
The Pope had excommunicated Me, after I had murder my rival for the throne on the altar steps of Franciscan priory. But prompted by the English king, the Pope also excommunicated all the people of Scotland.

What would you say was your most precious of victories in battle against the English,where was it and what King was it against?
I would have to say that the battle of Banockburn, Stirlingshire in 1341 against King Edward II's was by far the greatest victories I had over England in my time.

What was your battle plan For that great victory and where you heavily out numbered?
My Scottish force was composed largely of infantry, with few archers and little cavalry. So I placed my men between two stretches of uneven and boggy ground, so the English had to attack against a narrow front giving us the upper hand. The English lined up three soldiers to one of mine they had a superior number of troops infantry, archers and cavalry but that counted for nothing.

What came of the great battle King Robert?
Well i would say that the battle of Bannockburn was the decisive blow in establishing the independence of Scotland from England. Although the English refused to recognise the fact until the treaty of Northampton 14 years later, Bannockburn set the seal on Scotland's bid for freedom.

There is a question i have to ask how did you die and where are you buried?
I was gravely ill by the time I died at Cardross on 7 July 1329. My body was buried in Dunfermline Abbey.

No comments: